Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Jammin'

Years ago (I mean years ago!) I bought and planted these plants called "Pineapple Guava" (Feijoa) for a few reasons...

1- They were deer proof (a must where I live)
2-They had these pretty pink/red flowers
3- They bared fruit

Over the years I've enjoyed not watching the plants disappear from the deer nibbling on them, enjoyed the pretty blooms, BUT NEVER have they bared fruit! That is until this year. You could imagine my surprise while I was mowing the grass last week (remember it was 65 degrees here last week) and noticed the plant was full of (egg sized) fruit! Not all the plants, just one. I was in shock. I picked one of the fruits and headed inside. Because I've never seen the fruit of a Pineapple Guava plant before, I went to the trusty internet for a little info on my new found fruit.


I decided to make jam with them. Which is quite tasty, it has a gritty texture (kind of like a pear) with the most unusual flavor.

Anyone want to come over for breakfast?