Wednesday, August 10, 2011

In a pickle

Pickles

With my garden giving me lots of cucumbers and red peppers, I need to find ways to use them.
One of my favorite ways is making pickles. I.LOVE.PICKLES! LOVE!
All pickles, sweet, dill, bread and butter, I love them all.

Recipe:
1/2-cup apple cider vinegar
1/2-cup white vinegar
2-cups sugar
1-tablespoon salt
A pinch of...celery seed, mustard seed, whole peppercorns and 3 whole cloves
1-onion (sliced)
1-red pepper (sliced)
1-clove of garlic
6-cups cucumbers (sliced)

  1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, salt, spices and sugar to a boil. Boil until the sugar has dissolved.
  2. Place the cucumbers, onion and red pepper in a large bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture over the veggies. I make these in the morning and they are ready just in time for dinner (BBQ hamburgers) Store pickles in the refrigerator.