Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Eat cake!

I love pears...I like them in salads, poached, plain and in cake! I had everything in my pantry but the applesauce, so I just added 1/2 cup extra pear puree. I think it turned out fine...better than fine, it was great!

Gingered Fresh Pear Cake

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups pureed pears, about 4 to 5 medium ripe pears


  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice


  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon


  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger*


  • 1/2 cup butter, softened


  • 1 cup milk


  • 1 cup brown sugar


  • 1/2 cup naturally sweetened applesauce


  • 5 eggs


  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour


  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat oven to 350°.
Butter and generously flour a Bundt pan. Puree pears in a food processor. In a small bowl mix the pureed pears, vanilla, lemon juice, cinnamon, and ground ginger. Set aside. Heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan until butter is melted. Sift flour and baking powder.

With an electric mixer on medium-high, beat the eggs and brown sugar for 5 minutes, until pale and thick. Add milk and melted butter mixture while beating on low, then add the pear mixture and applesauce. Add the flour and baking powder, beating until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake for about 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powder sugar.
Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.

*Even though the recipe calls for "ground" ginger, I used fresh. Ginger is one of my favorites. I use to have the hardest time grating it fine enough though, until I found this from World Market. I love it!