Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mmm Mmm Good...

soup 005 (500 x 333)

I was looking for a simple but tasty soup recipe the other day. My dad sent me this one (thanks dad) it was perfect...
sitting by the wood stove, sipping hot soup and listening to the rain, while watching Mad Men.

Vegetable Soup

2 medium Zucchini sliced thin
2 medium carrots sliced 1/4 inch thick (I used a small bag of mini carrots)
10 white button mushrooms, sliced
2 stalks celery sliced 1/4 inch thick
frozen corn- 15 oz. package ( I skipped the corn)
1 large russet potato-peeled and cubed
1/2 lb green beans cut in half diagonally
4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth (I used chicken broth)
3 cups canned unsalted crushed tomatoes -drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped garlic (I added more, I love garlic)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp dried
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp dried
Add ground pepper to taste
I also added 1-onion (chopped) and a rib eye steak (cut into small pieces)

Cook the onion and beef in a large pot over medium heat, until beef is cooked through.
Add the other ingredients and bring to boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes until
the vegetables are tender. Once done, take some of the vegetables out to puree in a food
blender then returned to the pot or if you like your soup more chunky skip doing that step. I have a Cuisinart Smart Stick so I just used that for a couple seconds. Salt and pepper to taste.
Bon Appetite

Beads and other goodies...
I have two Fairy Doors and a couple other things coming tomorrow on my site...
xo