Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The birds and the bees


(my bees above)

I've had a couple people ask me lately, "how are your bees are doing?"
One word...GREAT!
They are bursting out of their hives! Literally! One of my hives swarmed last week
(some of the bees packed up and left) 
This is not a good thing...
I was actually thinking about dividing that hive the day before they flew the coop, because it was so full. But, decided to add supers (honey boxes) instead.

 (not my swarm above, but this is what it looked like)

The good news is I was able to catch the swarm and I started a new hive with them. I wish I got pictures, but I had my hands full. It being the first time I've caught a swarm of bees, I was a little nervous about the whole thing (to say the least) But it was really exciting and a little scary too. I wasn't worried about getting stung, I had my bee suit on...but from what I was reading, once you have a hold of the branch and you cut it. They say the bees will be heaver than you think they will be. I just DID NOT want to drop them. 
Everything went smoothly and they are enjoying their new home (hive) with extra elbow room.
It's all so exciting!
The lavender bee box in the video above is the one that swarmed. There are still soooo many bees in that box, it's crazy!
xo